Ahh summer…. We all crave it, look forward to it, can’t wait for the reprieve from homework battles, crazy mornings, and lunch making. Then summer arrives and WAIT! Oh no, life is still crazy, still hectic, and often more exhausting than the school year. Shifting into summer mode is tricky, and I have heard the same from other parents that I have encountered. There is the difficult balance of structure and carefree time. Kids need the structure that school provides and if they aren’t in camp, it still needs to be created somehow. Often siblings have different activities and this can require more driving in circles than during the school year. Over the past few weeks, we have slowly figured out how to structure time and create some purpose in the carefree summer days. Kids have settled into new routines and eased into how to “just be”. Here are some tips to maintain routine during during the summertime and keep your sanity.
1. Set quiet times for reading, workbooks, games, etc. Often using the clock for a determined amount time is helpful and needed.
2. Have meals times and snack times designated (at school, snack time is consistent and sometimes at home, this is forgotten. Hungry kids do not make for a peaceful summer!)
3. Limit screens. It is a challenge having kids home and screens everywhere, but it is so important to remember to limit screen time, get kids outside, and try something new.
4. Explore your city or town. Go on an adventure. Create a scavenger hunt in your backyard. Use summer as an excuse to try something new as a parent and engage with your children in a different way.
3. Laugh often and embrace the shift in routine. If parents are able to unwind into the comforts of summer, it is fun for our kids to enjoy us in a more relaxed environment. Be silly, play games, jump in the pool and enjoy the season, the first day of school will be here before we know it!